Thursday, March 22, 2012

[Review] Fables: Storybook Love Volume 3 by Bill Willingham

Fables: Storybook Love {Volume 3}
Synopsis via Goodreads:
FABLES: STORYBOOK LOVE is a captivating tale of romance and adventure. After being hunted and hounded by a savage being called the Adversary, the legendary characters of fables and fairytales were forced to relocate to a magical high-rise in Manhattan. Living in peaceful disharmony for centuries, the literary figures have forged a dysfunctional existence of tentative alliances and allegiances. But when Snow White and the Big Bad Wolf begin an improbable romance, Bluebeard enacts a devious plan to destroy his rivals. Now as Goldilocks mercilessly stalks the two lovers in the Cascade Mountains, Prince Charming confronts Bluebeard in a deadly duel within the confines of the Fables' New York condominium.






My Thoughts:
This volume is separated in distinct sections and stories compared to the first two. This destroyed the fluidity and made it hard to follow.


When the volume started, it reminds me of Supernatural with the soul trading. I was pretty amused. And it got super intense and exciting when a reporter tried to expose the fables. I love how some of the fables characters had a heist to prevent the exposure to happen, but it felt short. To me it was a silly kind of heist, nothing that made you stop breathing. You know what everyone is going to be save and sound. But the plot was pretty interesting.


I do have to say that I am not a fan of the character Snow White. Every time she appeared in the volume, it was just politics, politics, blah, blah, blah. Boring! But as the story moved on, I hated her less, perhaps it was because she became more human to me. When Snow and Mr. Wolfe was in the forest, it reminded me of Twilight mix with the action of The Hunger Game. I wanted more! I was screaming in my head to "run, run, run", and "awwwww". It definitely left me wanting to read more to see how this "relationship" turns out.


I enjoyed the last section of the distinct section about SmallTown. The drawings were more cartoon than comics. It was very rustic and less defined, kind of like children's picture books. I was a little lost from the transition because I didn't understand how this story was connected to the previous one. It seemed like who ever created this volume just put this story in to fill in the space. :S But I did enjoyed the story.





Overall, I enjoyed this volume fairly much, 3.5 out of 5.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews