Friday, May 11, 2012

[Review] I Hunt Killers by Barry Lyga




Hardcover, 359 pages
Published April 3rd 2012 by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers
Source: HBG
Synopsis via Goodreads:
What if the world's worst serial killer...was your dad?

Jasper (Jazz) Dent is a likable teenager. A charmer, one might say.


But he's also the son of the world's most infamous serial killer, and for Dear Old Dad, Take Your Son to Work Day was year-round. Jazz has witnessed crime scenes the way cops wish they could--from the criminal's point of view.

And now bodies are piling up in Lobo's Nod.

In an effort to clear his name, Jazz joins the police in a hunt for a new serial killer. But Jazz has a secret--could he be more like his father than anyone knows?



Book Trailer:

My Review:
When I first saw this book on Hachette's catalogue, I knew it was going to be good. This book totally reminded of Dexter, sure the main character is not a serial killer himself, but you get to feel how a serial killer's mind worked. I also had flashbacks to Criminal Minds when I read the book. And then I saw the book trailer...You know I was begging for the book. :P


 So THANK YOU SO MUCH HBG for providing me a copy.



So what can I say about the book in two sentences? Can the book get anymore epic? Gosh! This book! I fell for the book hard from the first page.

If you know me, I LOVE male POV, and this book can provide prove to my argument how male POV is AWESOME! Jazz is such a brilliant character, by that I mean he is so intelligent but at the same time he is so relatable.

Barry created such a creative, intricate book. I fathom at the mind twisting, unexpectedness an author's mind must be like. Barry totally treated me with some chapters from the POV of the new serial killer. Wow! Those chapters...*sigh* I am just fangirling in my little world. The book is fill not only with suspense and tension, but it also has humour. I found myself laughing from time to time, it balanced out the book. It kind of reminded me of Hamlet by William Shakespeare. In Hamlet, there are parts that has humour to it, but in the end there is violence and tension. And now for another if you know me fact: I really can't stand graphic, gruesome descriptions. My stomach just can't handle it (nope, definitely not a doctor here). Which makes me kind of weird because I like what most boys like in a book but can't stand a lot of gross stuff. Anyway, back to the book. This book did have violence scenes in it, so  it won't be for everyone.


I definitely didn't want to part with this book! Is Barry writing another book? Please tell me he is!

4 comments:

  1. yep it is a series
    gr8 review
    i want it bad

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really liked your review! it reminds me of the show dexter which I love and I can't wait to check it out!

    your newest follower,
    kristin
    youngadultbookhaven.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. This book truly is unlike anything out there right now in YA. And there are so many things about its uniquity that I enjoyed. It's told from third person . Today, there are SO MANY books that are first person and it's so nice sometimes to be TOLD a story; to be an observer and try to figure things out instead of "experiencing it" from first person. Also, there is the fact that the reader can hear Billy's voice (Jazz's serial killer father) in Jazz's head - it seriously adds to the creepy factor (and if you ever get to hear Barry Lyga speak, IT IS SERIOUSLY EERIE and I love it.).

    ReplyDelete
  4. PS- While I did enjoy this book very much, I would not recommend it to readers under the age of 16. I have no doubt that there are children younger than 16 that could handle some of the content, but 16+ is just my person opinion/recommendation.

    ReplyDelete

Total Pageviews