Saturday, September 15, 2012

Review: Neverdark by C.S. Einfeld

The Faeries of Southnut are in big trouble. Lord Darkwater is up to no good. 

The White Castle of Doru is under attack by the greatest army Princess Fiera's ever seen. Lord Darkwater is poised to crush her tiny kingdom unless the king gives Fiera up to become his wife. 

Well, fffungus! She's having none of that!

The race is on for Fiera to outwit Lord Darkwater's Dragonfly Riders, Bat Brigades, and even a giant, faerie-eating Spider to save herself and, before it's too late, her whole world.


*I received a copy of this book from the author for review. :)* Thanks C. S.
Review
The story started out like the cutest fairytale. It had been a long time I had encountered something like this. I totally imagine Tinkerbell narrating. I had read a book like this in a long time! And man how I miss it? This book was very cute! The writing style was almost reminded me of picture books. Okay that is not quite right but here I'll give you the first few sentences of the book and you'll see for yourself. 


"Beyond your backyard, past the school, and just east of the shopping mall, there stood a small outcrop of wild growing things [...]"

"Over the years, people moved into the town and cleared the land to make room for themselves. For the most part, the forest did not mind. It was not in its nature to mind. Forests are, first and foremost, very sharing things."


Okay, don't that just make the perfect kids' show beginning? :) I found it really cute. This book was kind of a more kids' version of Gregor the Overlander. I don't know if I can classify this book as middle grade, this really sounded like a Barbie movie turned back or a longer version of picture books. The style of the writing was very dramatic and had emphases on some words. I really thought this was a good book for parents or teachers to read to little kids. 

I really enjoyed the short chapters. It was such a refreshing and relaxing read. With all the books I had been reading, repetition was bound to happen and it really got quite dull. This book really brought something different to the table. :) There were a lot of good messages that came across in this book.

I am not a fan of the images in the book. The style of the images didn't fit the style of the writing. I was picturing My Little Pony + Tinkerbell cuteness and not like the images in the book. It was an unique idea but it just didn't work. 

The characters in this book totally reminded me of Barbie Fairytopia. Fiera was a super fantastic princess. She had character; she was sassy, and brave. She really reminded me of Barbie. Sparky reminds me of Bibble. Scout 63 was really helpful and adorable. Mandabull was a big guy who was a little harsh but it was understandable if you knew the background story. I loved how this book introduced a lot of small minor characters, it was very cute. I really enjoyed reading Manuel. C. S. made him talked in a different and I couldn't help but chuckled. Darkwater reminded me of Kabuto (not Barbie related), the bookworm that was evil.

I thought that this book was good for people who still watch Barbie. This book was predictable and nothing that surprising happened. I could only give this book a 3 out of 5. This book was just something that was a cute, little read for me. But I really think if you do fit the age group of this book, you will enjoy the book very much.





Oh yeah, if you don't know who Bibble is:
And Kabuto:



No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews