Monday, December 24, 2012

Let's Judge the Book by its Cover: The Immortal Rules

Let's Judge the Book by Its Cover is not a weekly meme, but more like a super flexible meme. You can post when ever you want; no commitment required. I am pretty sure some awesome people out there in the amazing blogosphere probably came up with something similar but these LJdBbiC (yes, the short hand is still long) posts basically will be me and my sister judging the covers of recent cover releases. We might be harsh sometimes depending on the covers but we just want to get our thoughts out there. Censorship, absolutely zero.
 
Will it attract my attention in a book store?
Yup! I mean I know I am not a fan of "girl face" covers but I do say they attract my attention. Plus this one is very dark and creepy looking, which is slightly different from most "girl face" covers.
Pros?
The darkness. It really draws your attention. The dirty edge makes it really cool looking; it looks old and worn.
Cons?
I do think it is slightly bad photoshopping. It looks a little harsh and unrealistic.
Colour Scheme?
It is not the best colours but it do reflex the darkness and the gory blood. I think I want more black and less blue in the cover.
Font?
I like how the font is simple so it doesn't distract the cover.
Unique Features?
The "Blood of Eden" part of the cover. SUPER COOOL! *sparkly eyes*
Others?
I love how the eye is red and there is blood trickling down the face. OHHHH! Super gross/creepy! I especially love the "Blood of Eden" part on the cover. It is in a super awesome, fancy font that I adore!

Will it attract my attention in a book store?
The "The Immortal Rules" one will but I don't think the "The Eternity Cure" will.
Pros?
I really like the darkness and the contrast of "The Immortal Rules" cover. And it seems to fit if Julie wants to promote more boy readers. It somewhat reminds me of one of the Chaos walking series.
Cons?
I don't like "The Eternity Cure" cover at all! It looks...unprofessional and carelessly put together. It seems like someone was lazy and just put some tree branches in and a background and some fonts.
Colour Scheme?
I love the "The Immortal Rules" colour scheme. I think it really reflects the darkness and this mysterious...evil!
Not liking the second cover. The colours just seem weak.
Font?
I do like the fonts from these covers than the original. It is not that big of change but it seems more clean and professional.
Unique Features?
The "Blood of Eden" part of the cover. I am so glad they kept that! Phew!
Others?
I love how "The Immortal Rules" cover have this dirty, old feeling too like the original. And as look at "The Immortal Rules" more and more, I think I prefer this one over the original. But I still don't like "The Eternity Cure".


So there isn't a winner this week. It is a...
TIE!




So that was it for this week. What do you think? What other covers should I cover for next time?

1 comment:

  1. I loved the original Immortal Rules cover. It was gritty and dark. And the blood running down her face was so creepy!

    I didn't know they were getting new covers (but what isn't now a days) but I do like the new Immortal Rules one. I think it still captures the tone of the novel. I agree with you about the Eternity Curse though. It doesn't seem to fit at all and I probably wouldn't give it a second glance at the book store.

    ReplyDelete

Total Pageviews