Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Manga Review: Black Butler, Vol. 2 by Yana Toboso

Black Butler, Vol. 2 by Yana Toboso

As high society's social calendar opens up and the Season draws to a close, London is gripped by fear. Someone has taken to stalking women of the night and painting the town red...in their blood. The name on everyone's lips seems to be "Jack the Ripper" - and as a result, the name on Queen Victoria's lips is Phantomhive. Summoned to London to clean up the mess created by this madman, Ciel Phantomhive arrives with Sebastian, his extraordinary butler, at his side to pour him tea, polish his silver, and...investigate a serial killer. And with the aid (and occasional interference) of a few of the Phantomhive house's numerous acquaintances, little stands in the way of the young earl getting to the bottom of this mystery. However, one question remains...can he handle the shattering truth behind it?

Review:
Okay this is my fourth time attempting to write this review. UGH. Why does it tend to disappear on me.

Anyway, I would like to say this volume was a major improvement on the last volume. I mean it is not really fair to compare the two but sorry, I gotta.

Firstly, you know I fancy Jack the Ripper stories. My, oh my, was this one good. ;)

But I like to mention again how unnecessary the "servants screw ups" are. *sigh* I mean I understand by Yana put them in the story but gosh is it every boring? I know Yana wants to demonstrate how talented Sebastian is and increase his every-readers-want-him factor but we all get it. I mean I am not going to lie, I like Sebastian in an apron but it really drags on the story. Okay let's get to the good parts, shall we?


In this volume we, as the readers, went to quite a lot of places. We went to see The Undertaker and we went to a ball. Quite swell right? The ball was grand, and I mean we get to see Ciel in a gown, and my was he cute. And of course I won't forget about Sebastian, he...well, shall we say that ladies, you won't have any ovaries left (or uterus...did you catch my lame joke?). <---I am weird.
We got to see a bit more about Ciel's past which keeps the mystery alive within the manga. I mean I don't really care that much about this past but it is always good to be reminded that he does have a past.

I mean the mystery behind Jack the Ripper was good, it wasn't on the level of Detective Conan but it was surprising to say the least. I enjoyed reading how cunning the young Earl Ciel Phantomhive was; he was, well, delicious. (I am not a pedo ;A;). Anyway, back to the story, where was I? Oh right, surprising. Who "Jack" was, was indeed surprising and thrilling. And wow did this volume end in a cliffhanger, a smexy one at that.


Random bits and pieces:
Love the fashion in this series. Really, gosh, I want all the outfits! I don't care if some of them are for males, I want them ALL!

The cover for this one looked odd. Really! If you had the physical copy right now, I dare you to stare at the cake tray thingy. It looked suppperrr bad! Horrible editing! It had like ugly harsh lines. It looked like someone found a picture on photostock and just did a shitty photoshop job on it. ;A; I cry for it!

Haha, you can see the yaoi undertone in this volume. I mean I know that the first volume had a bit, but if you missed it in the first one, you won't miss it here. It was sweet and stimulating. (Oh god, what did I just write?! ^//////o////^ *runs off to hide*)



 

1 comment:

  1. The Anime for this series is amazing! It's on Netflix:) I agree about the staff they are really annoying ! I don't think the book or series needs them at all . Great review :)

    ReplyDelete

Total Pageviews