Monday, April 29, 2013

Book♥Audiobook Review: All You Need is Kill by Hiroshi Sakurazaka


There’s one thing worse than dying. It’s coming back to do it again and again… When the alien Gitai invade, Keiji Kiriya is just one of many raw recruits shoved into a suit of battle armor and sent out to kill. Keiji dies on the battlefield, only to find himself reborn each morning to fight and die again and again. On the 158th iteration though, he sees something different, something out of place: the female soldier known as the Bitch of War. Is the Bitch the key to Keiji’s escape, or to his final death?

 An e-version of audiobook was provided by Simon and Schuster Audio for review.
Review
I have to say that the books was a DNF for me. It took me months, yes months, of re-starting and retrying but this just didn't work. I would've probably liked it more if I had the book but I just couldn't finish the audiobook. Maybe in the future I might borrow the book and like it but for now, it is a no go.

As for the part of the book I listened up to I found it too descriptive but not effective enough to "see" what Hiroshi is talking about. I tried hard to picture many of the technologies but it was something that you rather see than tried to piece all the description together. Also with an audiobook it was hard to for to go back and re-listen unlike a book where you can just glance back and re-read the sentence. I mean you can but it is a pain.
Anyone who likes classic war novels with sci-fi elements, this book is for you.
I think it is hard to write sci-fi war books (to be honest, I never read a lot of them), it is so hard to picture what the writers are "seeing". So I am so glad there is going to be a film featuring Tom Cruise and Emily Blunt. :) It comes out 2014.
You can see more photo on set from Just Jared right here. :)


 Because I didn't actually finish the novel (mainly due to the audiobook), I will give a temporary rating until I actually "read" the book. For now, this book is a...

Audiobook
I think the downside to this was the audiobook. The narrative voice was too monotone. There was no emotional, bored and dull. I didn't get anything from him. His voice made the book very boring, almost a lecture voice from a boring prof. I mean, you are in a war, A WAR! I thought there was more change in pitches, tones, and emotions, but there were none. It just seemed like the voice got a bit louder, quieter etc. It brought back bad memories of me in elementary school and we had to listen to audiobooks of books on WWI. I was not interested then and not now. Those were just something I never got into. The narrations seemed like the same. It just didn't make listening to it fun. But I do have to say Ilove the deep, thundering voice and the "sound effect" voices (ie, shouts etc) were dramatic, loud, and convincing. Too bad there weren't enough of these voices.

The audiobook just didn't work out for me, so I have to give it a...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews